Calling All Leaders - Apply NOW for 2018-2020 Board Member Positions
It's that time again - time to begin the selection process for next year's Chapter Board of Directors (BOD). Serving as a Board Member is exciting, fun and rewarding. It's a terrific way to become more involved in the chapter, understand and work with PMI Global, and meet some really terrific people.
Which positions are open for election?
BOD positions up for election this year are:
Please review the roles, responsibilities and qualifications for each position
- March 14 – Elections announcement via Chapter Website
- March 14 – April 20: Nominations accepted for open Board positions
- April 21: Review and Evaluate Nomination Candidates with the Board
- April 23: Request setup of PMI Global Elections tool for the Chapter Elections
- May 7: Open website link to PMI Global Elections tool for Chapter BOD Elections
- May 7 - May 25: Membership votes on nominees (Electronic Voting)
- May 31: Notify winners
- June 19: New Board Members announced at the June Dinner Meeting
- July 1: New Board begins
Who can run?
Any PMI-Olympia Chapter member whose membership is in good standing at the time of the election. They also have to maintain membership during their tenure at the Board and ready to volunteer 5-10 hours monthly. All members are encouraged to consider running for a Board of Directors position.
How to Become Nominated
- Learn about the Board and open Board positions
Once your nomination has been accepted, you are expected to provide a biography and a picture that will be posted on our web site for members to review before voting.
- Attend once-a-month Board meetings on the first Tuesday of every month from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Regularly attend Chapter Meetings and participate in other Chapter activities as appropriate. This is at your expense. The Chapter does not pay fees for Board members to attend the Chapter Meetings.
- Plan to spend 5 to 15 hours a month for specific position duties, depending on the position.
- For all positions except President Elect, commit to serve a two year, July 1, 2018–June 30, 2021. You have an option to extend for a second term in your elected position.
- The President-Elect commits to serve a three-year term: July 1, 2018–June 30, 2019 as President Elect; July 1, 2019–June 30, 2020 as President, and July 1, 2020–June 30, 2021 as Immediate Past President.
- Lead, support, recruit, and recognize Chapter volunteers and portfolio team members.
- Strategically develop and lead your portfolio to achieve the mission of the Chapter.
- Attend annual Board transition and strategy sessions.
- Learn about and understand your portfolio and the Chapter.
- Put the interests of the Chapter ahead of any other organization or business when acting as a Board member. Disclose any potential conflicts of interest which could affect decision making.
- Manage your portfolio budget and expenditures.
- Be a positive spokesman and evangelist for your portfolio and the Chapter.
- Carry out the fiduciary, due care, and diligence responsibilities of the Board of Directors by reviewing programs, policies, financial statements and other materials.
- Serve on committees and take on special assignments.
- Gain invaluable leadership experience as a Board member.
- Expand your professional network in the PMI community.
- Demonstrate your leadership expertise to your employer, clients and/or co-workers.
- Earn required certification PDUs through volunteer hours.
- If possible, attend the PMI Region 1 Leadership Conference. The Chapter pays travel, hotel, and meals. This is a great opportunity to network, learn new leadership skills and meet your area Region 1 counterparts.
- If possible, attend the PMI Global Leadership Conference. The Chapter pays conference registration, travel, hotel, and meals. This is a great opportunity to network, learn new leadership skills, and learn about PMI at a global level.
Serena Hansen, PMP
President – Elect
PMI Olympia Chapter