The Project Management Institute (PMI) is a non-profit professional organization dedicated to advancing the state-of-the-art in the management of projects. PMI memebership is open to anyone actively engaged or interested in the application, practice, teaching and researching of project management principles and techniques.
PMI's objectives are to:
- Foster professionalism in the management of projects.
- Advance the quality and scope of project management.
- Stimulate the application of project management to the benifit of the public.
- Provide a recognized forum for the free exchange between Institute members, of ideas, applications and solutions to project management problems.
- Identify and promote the fundamentals of project management and advance the body of knowledge for managing projects successfully.
- Provide an interface between users and suppliers of hardware and software systems.
- Collaborate with universities and other educational institutions to encourage appropriate education and career development at all levels in project management.
- Encourage academic and industrial research in the field of project management.
- Foster contacts internationally with other organizations, both public and private, which relate to project management, and coorperate in matters of common interest.
- Maintain methods for ethics, standards, and accreditation.
Project Management Standards, Certification, and Practices Programs
- The ethical and professional standards applicable to practitioners of project management, including A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, a structured indetification of the concepts, skills, and techniques unique to the project management profession.
- The widely recognized Project Management Professional (PMP) certification program. Earning the PMP designation demonstrates knowledge and understanding of basic project management principles, tools and techniques.
Project Management Publications
- PM Network, the monthly prfessional magazine, and Project Management Journal, the quarterly research journal.
- PMI books, monographs, CDs, case studies, and PMP study materials on project management related topics.
- Access to a large selection of project management and general management books.
Shared Interest Groups
- More than one hundred PMI chapters and affiliate societies throughout the world.
- Specific Interest Groups in more than thirteen industries.
Project Management Career Services
- Access to PMI's CareerLInk Job Referral Service and low-cost access to Job Bank USA.
Project Management Education and Training Initiatives
- The Annual Seminar/Symposium provides an opportunity to meet and hear experts in the field and an exhibition of the latest project management products and services available.
- Regional and local workshops and courses offered by PMI and PMI chapters.